- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MPharm Pharmacy with a Foundation Year / Course details
Year of entry: 2022
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
The Medicine (Year 1)
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Full year|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
An introduction to both the drug (pharmaceutical chemistry of the active ingredient) and the medicine (introduction to pharmaceutics/ formulation science).
A-level chemistry (or equivalent)
- Understand the structures, shapes and stereochemistry of drugs and amino acids.
- Understand the properties that affect the solubility and stability of drugs.
- Have knowledge of physicochemical properties to understand how drugs are formulated into medicines.
- Drug Design: Basic understanding of bonding to a receptor.
- Have knowledge of GLP (Good Laboratory Practice) and health & safety, and develop practical skills.
- Semester 1 Medicine part consolidated exam (25%, 5 credits).
- Semester 2 Medicine part consolidated exam (25%, 5 credits).
Sem 1/2 Medicine consolidated exams combined: Pass mark 40%.
- Semester 1 Tutor Marked Assessment (TMA) 1: 10 MCQ test in week 7 to check engagement & progress (10%, 2 credits).
- Semester 1 Tutor Marked Assessment (TMA) 2: Case study based written exercise. Submit week 12 (15%, 3 credits).
Sem 1 Medicine TMAs combined: Pass mark 40%.
Semester 2 TMA: Maths/Calculations Exam, week 9 (25%, 5 credits). Pass mark 40%.
- Continuous formative feedback in workshops & practicals.
- Summative and formative feedback for TMAs & January consolidated exam.
- Online (Blackboard) feedback for practical safety tests.
- PHAR10100 on Piazza
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Practical classes & workshops||31|
|Independent study hours|
|Sally Freeman||Unit coordinator|
|Andrew Leach||Unit coordinator|