BA English Literature / Overview
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
- Degree awarded
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- 3 years
- Typical A-level offer
AAA, including English Literature, or English Language and Literature (ie. not English Language alone)
- Typical contextual A-level offer
AAB, including English Literature, or English Language and Literature (ie. not English Language alone)Find out more about contextual admissions.
- Refugee/care-experienced offer
Applicants who have been in local authority care for more than three months or have refugee status may be eligible for an offer two grades below the standard requirements.Find out more about contextual admissions.
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
36 points overall. 6,6,6 in Higher Level subjects to include English Literature (or English Language and Literature, but not English Language alone).
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS
- Study at a university ranked sixth in the UK for English language and literature (QS World University Rankings 2021).
- Explore the rich literary history and current creative scene of Manchester, recently designated UNESCO City of Literature.
- Study more than 1,000 years of writing in English, engaging with literary and cultural theory, studying texts in their historical contexts, and reflecting on different cultures and traditions.
- Gain insight into a breadth of written forms, from illuminated manuscripts to graphic novels and poetry to postmodern fiction.
We are pleased to announce that we are returning to hosting on-campus open days in the summer and autumn.
Please see open days for the dates, registration, and other information.
If you're a prospective student, you can also find out more about student life by chatting with our student ambassadors at a time that suits you, and ask any questions you may have about life at Manchester.
Please check our Coronavirus FAQs for the most up to date information regarding events.
You can also look at our virtual open day content to help you learn more about the University.
Fees for entry in 2023 have not yet been set. For entry in 2022 the tuition fees were £9,250 per annum for home students, and are expected to increase slightly for 2023 entry.
Policy on additional costs
All students should normally be able to complete their programme of study without incurring additional study costs over and above the tuition fee for that programme. Any unavoidable additional compulsory costs totalling more than 1% of the annual home undergraduate fee per annum, regardless of whether the programme in question is undergraduate or postgraduate taught, will be made clear to you at the point of application. Further information can be found in the University's Policy on additional costs incurred by students on undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes (PDF document, 91KB).
- English Literature and Latin BA (3 years)
- Drama and English Literature BA (3 years)
- History and American Studies BA (3 years)
- English Literature and American Studies BA (3 years)
- English Literature with Creative Writing BA (3 years)
- English Language and English Literature BA (3 years)
- English Literature and History BA (3 years)
- American Studies BA (4 years)
- American Studies BA (3 years)
- English Literature and Spanish BA (4 years)
- English Literature and Italian BA (4 years)
- English Literature and German BA (4 years)
- English Literature and French BA (4 years)
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.
Regulated by the Office for Students
The University of Manchester is regulated by the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS aims to help students succeed in Higher Education by ensuring they receive excellent information and guidance, get high quality education that prepares them for the future and by protecting their interests. More information can be found at the OfS website.
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.