BSc Genetics with a Modern Language / Overview
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
- Degree awarded
- BSc (Hons)
- 4 years
- Typical A-level offer
AAA-AAB (including specific subjects)
- Typical contextual A-level offer
AAB-ABC (including specific subjects).Find out more about contextual admissions.
- Refugee/care-experienced offer
Applicants who have been in local authority care for more than three months or have refugee status may be eligible for an offer two grades below the standard requirements.Find out more about contextual admissions.
- Typical International Baccalaureate offer
35-36 points overall with 6, 6, 6 to 6, 6, 5 at Higher Level including two sciences, normally Biology and Chemistry.
For degrees with French, German, Spanish or Italian, 5 or 6 points in the language must be achieved at Higher Level.
For degrees with Mandarin or Japanese, 5 points is required in a foreign language at Standard Level. A minimum of 5 points in Chemistry at Standard Level (or Higher Level) is essential.
- Number of places/applicants
- 650/7000 (overall data for biological and biomedical sciences undergraduate courses at Manchester).
- How to apply
- Apply through UCAS .
- Learn about a subject of importance to all branches of biology, from basic principles of evolutionary biology to the power of genetic engineering.
- Improve your employability by learning a language while you study genetics, including a year-long research placement overseas.
- Choose from French, German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese and Mandarin for the language component of this course.
- Apply for membership of the Royal Society of Biology at Member (MRSB) level after just two years of practice instead of three thanks to our Advanced Accreditation status.
Attending an open day is a great way to find out what studying at Manchester is like. Find out about our upcoming open days.
We also operate campus tours where a student ambassador will tell you all about life at the University. You may also meet with admissions staff, subject to staff availability. These tours run on most days and are open to anybody thinking of applying for any of our courses in biosciences.
To book, please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuition fees for home students commencing their studies in September 2023 will be £9,250 per annum. Tuition fees for international students will be £30,000 per annum. For general information please see the undergraduate finance pages.
Policy on additional costs
All students should normally be able to complete their programme of study without incurring additional study costs over and above the tuition fee for that programme. Any unavoidable additional compulsory costs totalling more than 1% of the annual home undergraduate fee per annum, regardless of whether the programme in question is undergraduate or postgraduate taught, will be made clear to you at the point of application. Further information can be found in the University's Policy on additional costs incurred by students on undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes (PDF document, 91KB).
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- 0161 529 4539
- School/Faculty overview
Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
Courses in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of courses in related subject areas.
- Chinese Studies
- East Asian Studies
- French Studies
- German Studies
- Italian Studies
- Japanese Studies
- Modern Languages and Cultures
- Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies
Compare this course
Regulated by the Office for Students
The University of Manchester is regulated by the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS aims to help students succeed in Higher Education by ensuring they receive excellent information and guidance, get high quality education that prepares them for the future and by protecting their interests. More information can be found at the OfS website.
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.