BSc Information Technology Management for Business / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Fundamentals of Information Systems
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Information underpins all aspects of our society, and increasingly our activities are underpinned and driven by digital information, we call this digitalisation. Within an organisation, the systems which collect, process, store and provide information are called information systems. Organisations establish information systems in order to control their current activities, and also as the basis for changing and improving their ways of doing things. This course unit will focus on the structure, operation and role of digital information systems on businesses and organisations.
Only available to students on BSc ITMB.
The course unit aims to:
1. Introduce students to the principles of information systems and their role in contemporary organisations;
2. Present in non-technical and business-relevant terms the technology underpinning contemporary information systems; and
3. Explain how digital information systems change organisations, marketplaces and our society through present-day examples.
- Why are information systems so essential in running a business today?
- What exactly is an information system?
- How do information systems work?
- What are information systems management, organisation and technology components?
- How are information systems transforming organisations and marketplaces?
- What are the current trends in information systems technology?
1. Information Systems in Business Today
2. Information Systems, Organizations, and Strategy
3. IT Infrastructure
4. Securing Information Systems
5. E-commerce: Digital Markets, Digital Goods
6. Managing Knowledge and Artificial Intelligence
7. Enhancing Decision Making
8. Emerging Technology Trends
Teaching and learning methods
Summative course work: Individual business report (100%)
Feedback during example classes when working on case studies
Kenneth C. Laudon, Jane P. Laudon., Management Information Systems: Managing the Digital Firm, 16th Edition.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Aseem Pahuja||Unit coordinator|
For Academic Year 2023/24
Updated: March 2023
Approved by: March UG Committee