- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA Modern Language and Business & Management (Arabic) / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Introductory Statistics for Economists
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||Yes|
The content of the course will include:
- Background Concepts;
- Exploratory Analysis and Descriptive Statistics;
- Probability, Joint and Marginal Probabilities, Independence, Probability Trees;
- Random Variables and Probability Distributions;
- The Normal Distribution;
- Exploring and Modelling Relationships;
- Linear Regression;
- Statistical Inference, Confidence Intervals and Hypothesis Testing.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
The aims of this course are:
- to provide an introduction to basic statistical concepts and methods;
- to understand concepts of probability and statistical inference;
- to gain knowledge of methods for exploring relationships in data;
- to develop skills in interpreting results.
The course is structured around the use of social statistics within society and will cover issues associated with the use of statistics in the public domain.
At the end of this course students should be able to:
- use appropriate statistics, graphs and tables to explore data;
- develop contingency tables to explore relationships with categorical data;
- apply probability theory and understand the concept of independence;
- use techniques to measure relationships between variables and build simple linear regression models;
- carry out hypothesis testing and interpret the results of statistical analyses;
- develop skills in performing statistical analysis and presentation of data and results in Excel.
Teaching and learning methods
Please note the information in scheduled activity hours are for guidance only and may change.
For information about feedback please follow this link:
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Assessment written exam||1.5|
|Independent study hours|
|Diego Perez Ruiz||Unit coordinator|