- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BASS Politics and Sociology
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Regional Studies of Culture: 2
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This course is an introduction to the anthropology of two selected ethnographic regions. It comprises two consecutive sections, each consisting five lectures plus guided reading and dealing with a particular region.
|Unit title||Unit code||Requirement type||Description|
|Intro to Ethnographic Reading||SOAN10322||Co-Requisite||Compulsory|
|Key Ideas in Social Anthropology||SOAN10321||Co-Requisite||Compulsory|
Aims for Regional Studies of Culture
• Students will gain an overview of the anthropological studies of each region from historical and contemporary perspectives.
• Students will understand the key themes and theories that have shaped a regional study.
• Students will learn to read ethnographic texts critically, and develop the skill of close reading and analysis of anthropological texts.
• Students will be able to recognize the anthropological arguments developed from comparisons between different studies and different cultures, and why they matter in wider anthropology.
• Students will develop skills in writing analytical and well-structured answers to essay questions.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures and Weekly Tutorials
75% One final 1000-word essay per block
25% Weekly exercises - (4 x 250 words)
Personalised electronic feedback
There will be weekly discussions of required readings in tutorials.
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Sonja Dobroski||Unit coordinator|
|Michelle Obeid||Unit coordinator|
Length of Course: 12 weeks over one semester