- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
MEng Materials Science and Engineering with Textiles Technology / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Technical & Biomedical Textiles
|Unit level||Level 7|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 2|
|Offered by||Department of Materials|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This programme unit draws on the expertise of several members of staff, to provide a wide range of topics in the latest developments of technical textiles.
The programme unit aims to introduce science and engineering concepts and principles of technical textiles in biomedical, transportation and protective applications. This module covers production and application of functional fibres, textile composites, nano functional textiles and biopolymer fibres and textile devices and scaffolds in automotive industries, medical industry, personal protections, healthcare and wellbeing.
A greater depth of the learning outcomes will be covered in the following sections:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Intellectual skills
- Practical skills
- Transferable skills and personal qualities
Teaching and learning methods
This unit makes use of a blend learning and teaching approach, including the following activities: Lectures, group projects, problem-based learning and laboratory testing work, which will be delivered in the forms of asynchronous independent study via online lecture videos and project group studies, and synchronous Q&A structured discussions via online workshop. Blackboard will be used to present lecture notes, supporting materials and a feedback test for the unit. The lectures will develop the theoretical subject knowledge, whilst the tutorials and laboratory work will expand and evaluate the application and importance of different techniques.
Knowledge and understanding
- Demonstrate understanding of the requirements of textile materials in textile bioengineering, biomedical textiles, nano functional textiles, composites, protective textiles, automotive textiles and filtration applications;
- Relate the performance of technical products to the design and production of these products;
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of textile product engineering as a tool to produce technical and biomedical textile products to meet the end-use requirements.
- Appreciate the analytical content in technical and biomedical textile subjects;
- Demonstrate skills necessary to relate product performance to the factors in the manufacturing processes.
- Write a cogent report based on literature reviews
- Carry out mini group project to design technical textile and/or biomedical textile product concepts
Transferable skills and personal qualities
- Conduct critical analysis, solve problems; demonstrate numeric skills, communication and presentations skills, team work ability developmemnt.
|Written assignment (inc essay)||30%|
Feedback given (written and verbal).
- Astrom, B T, Manufacturing of Polymer Composites, London, Chapman and Hall, 1997
- Textile Structural Composites, edited by Tsu-Wei Chou and Frank Ko, Elsevier Science, Oxford, 1989
- Miravete, A, 3D Textile Reinforcements in composite materials, Woodhead, Cambridge, 1999
- Long AC, Design and Manufacture of Textile Composites, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2005
- Horrocks AR, Anand SC, Handbook of Technical Textiles, Woodhead, Cambridge 2000
- Scott Richard A, Textiles for Protection, Woodhead, Cambridge 2005
- Li Y and Dai X Q, Biomechanical Engineering of Textiles and Clothing, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2006
- Anand S C, Kennedy J.F, Miraftab M and Rajendran S., Medical Textiles and Biomaterials for Healthcare, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2006
- Li Y and Wong A S W, Clothing Biosensory Engineering, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2006
- Shishoo R, Textiles in Sport, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2005
- Jenkins M, Materials in Sports Equipment, Woodhead, Cambridge, 2003
AATCC Review, Advanced Materials, Carbon, Carbohydrate Polymers, Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument (Supplement), Colloid and Polymer Science, Coloration Technology, Composite Interfaces, Composite Structures, High Performance Polymers, Journal of Polymer Science-Part B Polymer Physics
Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, Journal of the Textile Institute, Macromolecules, Materials Letters, Nature, Nano Letters, Polymer, Polymer Journal, Polymer Testing, Sen'I Gakkaishi, Science,
Smart Materials and Structures, Textile Progress, Textile Research Journal, Advanced Healthcare Materials
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Independent study hours|
|Yi Li||Unit coordinator|