Learning support

We’ll give you individual learning support to help you take control of your learning and develop your confidence.

Peer support

Our peer mentor schemes are support structures led by students, for undergraduate students. The schemes aim to give you a sense of belonging and identity with the University and ultimately, to enhance your student experience.

Peer mentors are higher-year students on the same degree programme as you, who will help you find your feet when you arrive here and adjust to student life. As they’ll have already been a student at Manchester for at least a year, they should be able to help you with anything you might be worried or unsure about – they’re an invaluable source of information, knowledge and resources, so make the most of them.

Peer mentors will often organise activities and workshops to support you with a specific issue. They’ll also set up social events to help everyone get to know each other a little better and to introduce you to Manchester as a city.

Peer mentoring schemes are available for undergraduate students in most academic Schools.

PASS (Peer Assisted Study Sessions)

Students at The University of Manchester have the opportunity to take part in PASS sessions within their Faculty, to support study and learning.

The sessions are led by volunteer students (PASS leaders) studying the same subject, who act as facilitators.

Sessions will often be based around a specific area of study. You’ll have the opportunity to consolidate and build on your existing knowledge through discussion with other students in an informal and supportive environment, where you can compare notes, analyse, criticise, ask questions and talk through ideas.

PASS sessions encourage active learning in an informal, friendly and fun environment to complement more formal delivery of teaching, such as lectures and seminars.

For many years The University of Manchester's PASS programme has been recognised internationally as the UK benchmark, and is now formally recognised as the PASS National Centre.

Academic advisers

At The University of Manchester every undergraduate student is assigned an academic adviser who is there to give advice about any academic issues throughout the duration of your course.*

Your adviser will be able to help you with the transition from school or college to university – and help you get to grips with studying and learning more independently. They'll also be able to help you develop your skills in academic writing or research, or any other skills that are specific to your degree programme. 

As well as giving you academic advice, they are there to help you tackle practical issues that you may need support with, such as registration for course units, exam preparation and time management.

We hope you will build a lasting relationship with your academic adviser during your time here, and that you will approach them with any question you might have about your course, your study or any aspect of your work.

Your academic advisor is in addition to your personal adviser, who will be able to assist you with personal and pastoral issues unrelated to your study.

*While we aim to assign one academic adviser to each student throughout their studies, in certain circumstances your adviser will change as you progress through your course. Additionally, you can request a change of academic adviser at any time.

My Learning Essentials

You'll have access to the Library’s skills programme, My Learning Essentials, which provides workshops and online support on academic, employability and well-being.

This programme will help you to develop the skills you’ll need to successfully complete your degree programme, including how to research, reference and write in an academic style.

Central support services

We also provide a range of central support services, including:

  • the Disability Advisory and Support Service, which will help if you have additional needs arising from a medical condition, a physical or sensory disability, a specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia, or a mental health problem that affects your study; 
  • the Counselling Service, which provides professional and confidential counselling for students with personal problems affecting their work or sense of well-being;
  • the Students’ Union Advice Service, with full-time advisers who can assist with issues such as housing or finance;
  • the Student Services Centre, which is the central point of contact for all administrative and support services once you enrol at the University;
  • Based in the Atrium of University Place, the Student Support and Advice team can offer advice on issues affecting your student life with signposting to more specialist services. They also have a wide range of information and helpful resources on their website covering topics such as finance, academic life and well-being.