Benefits of working here
With more than 12,000 people employed in a vast range of jobs, The University of Manchester feels more like a community than a workplace – just one of the benefits of working here.
We strive to make our community a welcoming, caring and enthusiastic one, fuelling ambition with opportunities and support to help us all achieve our personal and professional goals.
Generous benefits package
Our diverse job opportunities all include a top benefits package that includes many features that are hard to find in the private sector:
- Generous annual leave allowance, including Christmas/New Year closure;
- Pension scheme membership to provide benefits for you and your family;
- Well-being programme with counselling, fitness and leading sports facilities;
- Learning and development opportunities;
- Season ticket loans for public transport;
- Cycle to Work Scheme;
- Workplace nursery scheme;
- Staff recognition schemes;
- Staff discounts on a range of products and services including travel and high street savings.
Since education is part of our core business, we care deeply about career and personal development. You’ll benefit from:
- a structured induction programme for University newcomers, to make you feel welcome and part of our team.
- an annual performance and development review, to help identify your career aspirations and structure your individual development plan;
- access to an extensive programme of courses, designed by our in-house Staff Training and Development Unit, for all career stages;
- mentoring opportunities to support your career development;
- diverse job opportunities, giving you great flexibility in choosing a career path to suit your changing interests and ambitions.
We also hold the HE Excellence in Research badge – find out what this means for career development support for researchers.
We take the wellbeing of our staff very seriously, and provide a range of classes, services and facilities to support your physical and mental health.
More than 80 health and fitness classes take place around campus every week, including exercises such as Thai Bo and belly dancing. On-site facilities include the Manchester Aquatics Centre and two sports centres, while you can relax and unwind in our Wellbeing Room with activities such as Tai Chi or Food and Mood sessions.
Our occupational health and counselling services offer support through times of difficulty. We also have a dedicated disability adviser for staff.
For your spiritual needs we provide on-campus prayer facilities, including Islamic prayer rooms and a chaplaincy.
Should you have family/caring responsibilities, we have a whole package of family-friendly policies that provide for flexible working, additional paid maternity and paternity leave, and leave for family emergencies.
We are investing more than £1 billion in improving our campus, creating new teaching and research facilities and a public realm with more green areas for everyone to enjoy.
Above all we want to create a pleasant working environment. This extends to our catering facilities, which promote Fairtrade and organic products.
We are also an intrinsic part of the city of Manchester, so you'll never be far from whatever facilities you need, whether it's a bank or a spot of retail therapy.
Culture and learning for everyone
How many other employers can boast an on-site library, museum and art gallery, not to mention the world-famous radio telescope at Jodrell Bank? You can attend a varied programme of events at these and other University attractions, many of which are free to staff.
Special exhibitions and free lunchtime concerts run at our Martin Harris Centre for Music and Arts, while those who prefer their music a little more modern can visit the Manchester Academy, which attracts all the latest bands to our campus.
Prestigious lectures on a wide variety of subjects are open to all staff, and you'll also have free access to one of the largest library collections in the UK, including the historic John Rylands Research Institute and Library in the city centre.
Equality and diversity
Discover how we go beyond our legal obligations to celebrate and support diversity at Manchester.
We've received a number of awards in official recognition of our commitment to developing and supporting our people.