International applicants

As a global institution, situated at the heart of a diverse multicultural city, we welcome job applicants from all countries and nationalities to The University of Manchester.

The University has a strong track record of successfully recruiting staff from around the world. A quarter of our 12,000 staff are from overseas. 

We know from our history that world-class scholarship and research require the engagement and exchange of people and ideas. If you join us, you'll also be part of Manchester, a cosmopolitan, vibrant and friendly city. 

Hear from our diverse and international community of staff and students:

Support and advice for international applicants

If you’re ready for the challenge of living and working in another country, we will aim to make the transition as smooth as possible.  We have provided some information on Visas below with links to further resources.  You could also take a look at our Orientation Handbook which has useful information on life in the UK and the types of services The University offers our International Staff.  If you’re an International Researcher you may also find the following British Council website helpful.

Do I have the right to work in the UK?

As part of the University’s recruitment process, we will check that all prospective employees are eligible to live and work in the UK prior to them commencing work.  If you are unsure of your right to work, we recommend using the online tool provided by the government which will establish your eligibility and options relating to Visas.  It is also useful to establish whether your family and dependents can come to live and work in the UK.

I am a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national (excludes Croatian nationals)

EEA national and Swiss nationals are free to enter, live and take work in the UK without Home Office permission.

I am a Croatian national

Some Croatian nationals need to apply work worker authorisation, but others are exempt.  To establish whether you are exempt, we recommend you read the following government guidance:

 If you need a purple registration certificate, we may be able to sponsor you under the Points Based System. 

I am a non-EEA national

You will need a visa to work in the UK.  Depending on the nature of the role, we may be able to issue a Certificate of Sponsorship to support your application under the Points Based System.  For more information see: