'Why Study?' Presentations and workshops
Our 'Why Study?' series of presentations provides up-to-date information, advice and guidance to young people, so that they can make informed decisions about their future.
The talks raise awareness of some of the most competitive and demanding subject areas in higher education and encourage students to aspire to study them. We can deliver these presentations at schools that are within one hour's drive of The University of Manchester. Talks are flexible and generally last between 30 and 45 minutes.
- provide information on popular disciplines available at university, which are not taught, or are less widely taught, in the 14-19 curriculum;
- demonstrate some of the skills developed by studying a degree in this subject area;
- explore some of the careers that graduates from these subject areas could progress into;
- inform learners of any specific progression information, if appropriate (eg any preferred or mandatory GCSE or A-level subjects);
- raise awareness of additional opportunities available through degree courses in this subject area (eg study abroad or industry placement opportunities).
We currently offer talks on the following subjects:
- Biological Sciences
- Biology and Society
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science
- English Literature
- Health Sciences
Talks on additional subject areas will be available from November 2019.
To make an enquiry about holding a 'Why Study?' talk in your school or college complete our Why Study? booking form
If you have any questions about our 'Why Study?' talks or any other activities, please email email@example.com