How to apply
To apply for The University of Manchester’s Study Abroad Programme, use our online application system.
Before you enter our online system, you should download and print our How to Apply Online guidance notes. We recommend that you work through these notes as you are completing your application.
- Download the How to Apply Online guidance notes as a PDF document (PDF document, 631KB)
As part of the online application you must complete, scan and upload the required supporting documentation. For fee-paying study abroad students the required supporting documentation is listed below.
- Most recent academic transcript
- Proposed study plan form (PDF document, 46KB)
- Personal statement (PDF document, 38KB)
- One academic reference
- Fall assessment approval form (PDF document, 50KB)
- Financial confirmation letter (if applicable – see the How to Apply Online guidance notes)
- English Language Proficiency Certificate (if applicable)
- A scanned copy of the ID page of your passport
- Exchange partner or agent/representative nomination form (PDF document, 50KB) (only required if you are using the services of a third-party agent, such as the College of Global Studies at Arcadia University, the Study Abroad Foundation (SAF) or the British Education Office)
You will probably find it helpful to have all these documents scanned and ready before you begin your online application. Remember that we cannot fully consider your application until we have received all your supporting documents. There is no need for you to send us hard copies of anything once you have submitted your application online.
Remember that your home university may require you to apply through their International Programmes Office in the first instance. You should complete our online application after you have received their approval to study abroad.
- Apply online (Following this link will take you to a screen headed 'Postgraduate Applicant Sign On'. Please ignore the heading; this is the correct form to complete).
For September entry – 1 June (extended to 1 July in 2021 to support students requiring additional time due to COVID-19)
For January entry – 1 November
Please note that for January entry you should apply as early as possible, particularly if you wish to study any of our high-demand course units.
We review and process applications in order of the date received. At busy times, it may take 4–6 weeks for us to process an application and issue an offer letter.
If you have any external deadlines that you are working towards (eg a deadline for an external scholarship), please make sure you submit your application to us at least six weeks before your external deadline.
Students on the Study Abroad programme can take undergraduate course units only. Students should not, therefore, select any postgraduate level course units (ie those with a course code that begins with a '4').
Applying for accommodation
If you wish to apply for University accommodation for the duration of your study with us, there is a separate online accommodation application procedure which you must complete. You cannot apply for accommodation until after you have received a formal offer letter from us. Your offer letter will contain details of how to apply for accommodation online.