MSc Operations, Project and Supply Chain Management / Course details
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Put your organisational skills to the test and learn to help businesses manage the production and delivery of products and services in an increasingly globalised marketplace. Operations management is all about how to organise the production and delivery of products and services.
- Gain the knowledge and skills to ensure that processes run smoothly, particularly in the face of opportunities and challenges arising from the increasingly global reach of business
- Cover the service, manufacturing, public and private sectors, showing how operations management, project management and supply chain management work
- Opportunity to concentrate on particular aspects of operations management, supply chain management, project management and process improvement
- Prepare for a career as a professional operations, project or supply chain manager
- Strong foundation for progression to a PhD or an academic career within the field
- Opportunity to concentrate on particular aspects of operations management, supply chain management, project management and process improvement, helping towards membership of the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply .
During the course you will be taking 180 credits in all. The eight taught modules during semester one and two total 120 credits and consists of both compulsory and optional taught units which can be viewed in the list below.
By agreement with the Course Director, one elective unit may be taken from another Masters course - note that all elective units are subject to availability, timetabling constraints and what you have studied previously.
Over the summer period, you will carry out your Research Dissertation, worth 60 credits. Certain units must be chosen in order to become a member of CIPS, and the dissertation must be on a procurement and supply-related theme.
Examples of recent dissertation project topics include:
- The future green supply chain in the retail industry: a shared value strategic perspective
- Evaluation of cost performance in inventory management in reverse logistics
- Using e-procurement to improve supply chain management practices
The course is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply (CIPS).
On completion of the MSc Operations, Project and Supply Chain Management course, students with three years' work experience in a relevant field of supply chain management can apply to become full members of CIPS.
- As the course is accredited to CIPS, students with the required work experience will not need to take any further examinations to become full members of CIPS (as long as they have completed the required modules and the dissertation should focus on a procurement and supply related theme as part of the MSc).
- Students without the required work experience (for example, recent graduates) can take the required modules and dissertation element of the MSc programme and on completion of three years relevant work experience can apply for full membership of CIPS.
- We are unable to answer individual enquiries about CIPS membership and you should apply directly to CIPS. Details of membership options can be obtained from the CIPS website .
Coursework and assessment
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Global Operations Management||BMAN70081||15||Mandatory|
|Strategic Supply Chain Management||BMAN70111||15||Mandatory|
|Professional skills: Research and Evaluation Methods||BMAN70120||15||Mandatory|
|Strategic Project Organising||BMAN70391||15||Mandatory|
|Business to Business Marketing||BMAN70152||15||Optional|
|Business Improvement Tools Techniques and Systems||BMAN70202||15||Optional|
|Megaproject Leadership and Strategy||BMAN72262||15||Optional|
|Operational Excellence: The Lean Production System||BMAN73472||15||Optional|
|Supply Chain Logistics Management||BMAN73672||15||Optional|
|Simulation & Risk Analysis||BMAN73942||15||Optional|