MSc Business Analytics: Operational Research and Risk Analysis / Course details
Year of entry: 2024
- View tabs
- View full page
- Gain a solid theoretical foundation and quantitative skills, alongside practical problem-solving techniques
- Apply your knowledge to real-life scenarios using case studies, individual and team consulting-based assignments, presentations and software tools
- Use SAS Enterprise packages as part of the `Data Analytics for Business Decision Making' unit.
- Choose from a broad range of options to meet your interests or career aspirations
- Prepare for a career in consultancy, finance, retail, manufacturing, government analytics units, defence, IT systems, outsourcing and telecoms.
We run a core unit on Data Analytics which will introduce students to SAS Enterprise Guide and Enterprise Miner and other specialized software tools.
Recent highlights included guest talks and dissertation projects with a wide range of industry partners.
The course is closely linked with the Decision and Cognitive Sciences Research Centre , meaning that you benefit from teaching that incorporates the latest research. You may also find opportunities to collaborate with ongoing research projects and attend research seminars organised by the Research Centre.
Coursework and assessment
Assessment varies depending on course units taken. It may include a combination of individual course work, group project assessment and presentations, assignments, in-class tests and examination.
The dissertation is normally undertaken.
Course unit details
During the course you will be taking 180 credits in all. The eight taught modules during semester one and two total 120 credits and consists of both compulsory and optional taught units which can be viewed in the list below.
The core courses unit introduce you to mathematical principles and practical tools for Optimization, Decision Making, Data Analytics, Statistical Analysis, Simulation and Risk Analysis. Specific software packages include SAS, SPSS, Excel, Excel Solver, SIMUL8, iThink, Risk Solver, IDS, and Python.
Over the summer period, you will carry out your Research Dissertation, worth 60 credits. Examples of recent dissertation project topics include:
- Predictive analytics in direct marketing
- Systematic risk modelling and analysis for enterprise risk management
- Predicting the stock price using social media sentiment analysis
- Data analytics in sports
- Data analytics on the net-zero carbon goals of sustainable cities
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Risk, Performance and Decision Analysis||BMAN60092||15||Mandatory|
|Mathematical Programming and Optimisation||BMAN60101||15||Mandatory|
|Data Analytics for Business Decision Making||BMAN60422||15||Mandatory|
|Applied Statistics and Business Forecasting||BMAN71791||15||Mandatory|
|Global Operations Management||BMAN70081||15||Optional|
|Strategic Supply Chain Management||BMAN70111||15||Optional|
|Strategic Project Organising||BMAN70391||15||Optional|
|Knowledge Management and Digital Strategy||BMAN71652||15||Optional|
|Decision Behaviour, Analysis and Support||BMAN73271||15||Optional|
|Supply Chain Logistics Management||BMAN73672||15||Optional|
|Displaying 10 of 13 course units|
|Display all course units|