MSc Business Analytics: Operational Research and Risk Analysis / Course details
Year of entry: 2020
Learn the fundamental theories, approaches and analytical toolkit of data analytics, decision sciences, applied operational research and statistics.
- Gain a solid theoretical foundation and quantitative skills, alongside practical problem-solving techniques
- Apply your knowledge to real-life scenarios using case studies, individual and team consulting-based assignments, presentations and software tools
- Use SAS Enterprise packages as part of the `Data Analytics for Business Decision Making' unit. SAS sponsor a coursework prize for this project
- Choose from a broad range of options to meet your interests or career aspirations
- Prepare for a career in consultancy, finance, retail, manufacturing, government analytics units, defence, IT systems, outsourcing and telecoms.
We run a core module on Data Analytics which will introduce students to SAS Enterprise Guide and Miner. A coursework prize for this project will be sponsored by SAS.
Recent highlights included a case study run by Deloitte, a presentation from SAS on the Future of Analytics and ongoing dissertation projects with Unilever, CGA, Barclays and Convergys.
Coursework and assessment
Course unit details
During the course you will be taking 180 credits in all. The eight taught modules during semester one and two total 120 credits and consists of both compulsory and optional taught units which can be viewed in the list below.
The core courses unit introduce you to mathematical principles and practical tools for Optimization, Decision Making, Data Analytics, Statistical Analysis, Simulation and Risk Analysis. Specific software packages include SAS, SPSS, Excel, Excel Solver, SIMUL8, iThink, Risk Solver, IDS, and Python.
Over the summer period, you will carry out your Research Dissertation, worth 60 credits. Examples of recent dissertation project topics include:
- Predictive analytics in direct marketing
- Systematic risk modelling and analysis for enterprise risk management
- Predicting the stock price using social media sentiment analysis
- Understanding the effects of social influence in decision making
- Data analytics in sports
Course unit list
The course unit details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
|Risk, Performance and Decision Analysis||BMAN60092||15||Mandatory|
|Mathematical Programming and Optimisation||BMAN60101||15||Mandatory|
|Data Analytics for Business Decision Making||BMAN60422||15||Mandatory|
|Applied Statistics and Business Forecasting||BMAN71791||15||Mandatory|
|Simulation & Risk Analysis||BMAN73942||15||Mandatory|
|Global Operations Management||BMAN70081||15||Optional|
|Strategic Supply Chain Management||BMAN70111||15||Optional|
|Global Supply Chain Management: Theories and Practice||BMAN70292||15||Optional|
|Strategic Project Organising||BMAN70391||15||Optional|
|Knowledge Management and Digital Strategy||BMAN71652||15||Optional|
|Displaying 10 of 13 course units|
|Display all course units|