Master’s funding for students with disabilities

Our Disability Support Office can advise prospective and existing master’s students with disabilities on external sources of funding and can help with making an application for these funds.

Disability Support Office

Tel: +44 (0)161 275 7512/8518, +44 (0)161 275 2794 (minicom)
Fax: +44 (0)161 275 7018

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you are from England or Wales, you may be eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance for help with costs you may incur while attending your course as a direct result of your disability. Depending on your needs, extra support from the allowance could include:

  • specialist equipment;
  • a non-medical helpers allowance;
  • help towards the additional costs of travelling to your institution;
  • a general allowance.

Further information and a DSA application form are available from:

Research Council studentships include a Disabled Students' Allowance as part of their studentship package.

The Prospects website contains a section on master’s funding for students with disabilities, including advice for non-UK EU and international students. The guide also contains links to Skill: National Bureau for Students with Disabilities and their range of information booklets.

You may also be able to secure some funding from charities, foundations or trusts: