Equity and Merit Scholarships for international master’s students
The UN's Sustainable Development Goals set the direction toward a better, more sustainable future for all. Our Equity and Merit Scholarships aim to empower young professionals in the Global South to deliver solutions to meet these interlinked goals.
Equity and Merit Scholarships are for academically excellent students who have the potential to make a significant contribution to sustainable development in their home countries.
The awards are intended for those who cannot afford to study in Manchester without a scholarship. We are committed to a policy of equal opportunity and all applications are considered on their merit. We particularly encourage women to apply.
We offer two types of scholarship:
- Full-time, on-campus master’s (one-year duration).
- Part-time, distance learning master’s (three to five years duration).
There are 39 scholarships (29 for full-time study and ten for online study) available for a range of courses in engineering, environment, health sciences, development, education, textiles and law. The scheme is open to applicants from Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
The scholarships cover full tuition fees, and for students who will be studying in Manchester, the award includes return international airfares, living expenses and visas.
Our master’s scholarships are aimed at talented applicants, especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds.
To apply for a scholarship, you will need:
- to be a resident citizen of Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zimbabwe, and have not previously studied outside of Africa (training of six months or less does not count);
- at least two years of professional experience related to your chosen field of study (this does not include unpaid internships or voluntary work);
- a bachelor’s degree (you must have graduated before September 2021) with an overall excellent grade. The awards are for academically outstanding students and typically this means that you are in the top 10% of your class;
- to be committed to returning home and able to demonstrate the potential to make a positive impact on the future of your home country;
- a clear idea of how studying at Manchester will benefit both your career and the wider community.
Full list of courses where scholarships are available
- MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering
- MSc Advanced Process Integration and Design
- MSc Subsurface Energy Engineering
Civil and Mechanical Engineering
- MSc Advanced Manufacturing Technology and Systems Management
- MSc Commercial Project Management
- MSc Construction Project Management
- MSc Engineering Project Management
- MSc Management of Projects
- MSc Mechanical Engineering Design
- MSc Reliability Engineering and Asset Management
- MSc Structural Engineering
- MSc Thermal Power and Fluid Engineering
- MSc Development Economics and Policy
- MSc Digital Development
- MSc Global Development
- MSc Global Development: Development Management
- MSc Global Development: Environment Climate Change and Development
- MSc Global Development: Globalisation, Trade and Industry
- MSc Global Development: Migration, Mobility and Displacement
- MSc Global Development: Politics, Governance and Development Policy
- MSc Global Development: Poverty, Inequality and Development
- MSc Global Development: Public Policy and Management
- MSc Management and Implementation of Development Projects
- MSc Management and Information Systems (MIS): Change and Development
- MSc Research Methods with International Development
- MA Education for Sustainable Environment
- MA Educational Leadership
- MA International Education
- MA International Education (Equity, Diversity and Inclusion)
- MA International Education (Globalisation and International Development)
- MA International Education (Higher Education)
- MA International Education (TESOL)
- MA TESOL
Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering
- MSc Communications and Signal Processing
- MSc Electrical Power Systems Engineering
- MSc Renewable Energy and Clean Technology
- MSc Data Science (Applied Urban Analytics)
- MSc Data Science (Environmental Analytics)
- MSc Environmental Governance
- MSc Environmental Impact Assessment and Management
- MSc Environmental Monitoring, Modelling and Reconstruction
- MSc Geographical Information Science
- MSc Global Urban Development and Planning
- MSc Green Infrastructure
- MSc Pollution and Environmental Control
- MSc Urban Design and International Planning
Humanitarian and Conflict Response
- MA Humanitarianism and Conflict Response
- MA Peace and Conflict Studies
- MSc International Disaster Management
Human Resource Management
- MSc Human Resource Development (International Development)
- MSc Human Resource Management (International Development)
- MSc Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations
- MSc International Human Resource Management and Comparative Industrial Relations
- LLM Corporate Governance
- LLM Intellectual Property Law
- LLM International Business and Commercial Law
- LLM International Economic Law
- LLM International Financial Law
- LLM Public International Law
- LLM Security and International Law
- LLM Transnational Dispute Resolution
- MA Security and International Law
Medical and Health Sciences
- MSc Audiology
- MSc Biological Sciences
- MSc Cell Biology
- MSc Clinical Immunology
- MSc Health Data Science
- MSc Infection Biology
- MSc Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science
- MSc Medical and Molecular Virology
- MSc Medical Microbiology
- MSc Model-based Drug Development
- MSc Occupational Hygiene
- MSc Occupational Medicine
- MSc Science and Health Communication
Materials and Textiles
- MSc Corrosion Control Engineering
- MSc International Fashion Marketing
- MSc International Fashion Retailing
- MSc International Fashion Retailing (Entrepreneurship and Innovation)
- MSc Polymer Materials Science and Engineering
- MSc Textile Technology (Technical Textiles)
- MPH Public Health (Web-based Learning)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Communicable Disease Prevention and Control) (Distance Learning)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Dental Public Health) (Distance Learning)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Environment and Public Health) (Distance Learning)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Evidence Based Healthcare) (Distance Learning)
- MPH Master of Public Health (Global Health) (Distance Learning)
- MPH Occupational Health (Distance Learning)
- MSc Analytical Chemistry and Measurement Science by distance learning
- MSc Data Analytics and Social Statistics by Distance Learning
- MSc Global Health by distance learning
- MSc Human Resource Management and Development (International Development) by distance learning
- MSc Management and Information Systems: Change and Development by distance learning
- MSc Sustainable Electrical Power Systems Engineering by distance learning
- MSc Transformative Oncology by distance learning
English language requirements
You do not need to provide an IELTS or TOFEL test result when you apply for the scholarship. However, if you are shortlisted for an interview then you'll be required to take an approved English test.
Each master’s course has its own requirements in English test scores, please refer to the course profiles for more details.
In most cases, you'll need a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 (with no sub-test less than 5.5) or TOEFL 90 (with no sub-test less than 22) to be awarded a scholarship.
We don't grant exemptions to English language requirements and we don't accept a certificate of English language proficiency from your university.
How to apply
Applications are now closed and will open again on 1 August 2023 for September 2024 entry.
We will be in touch will all applicants for 2023 entry as soon as we have completed shortlisting.
Application timeline for 2023/24
|1 to 31 August 2022||Application window|
|September 2022 to May 2023||Review period|
|June 2023||Results announced|
|September 2023||Start of the academic year|
Get the latest updates and announcements by liking our Equity and Merit Facebook page and following us on Twitter and Instagram.