MEng Aerospace Engineering
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
Structures 1 (Aero)
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Offered by||Mechanical and Aeronautical Engineering Division (L5)|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
This unit introduces the fundamental topics of structural mechanics in the context of both civil and aerospace structures. The technical focus is on the ideas of equilibrium, stress resultants, stresses and deflections of beams. This is presented within a context of structural design, with the importance of qualitative understanding of structural behaviour emphasised.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates
For students to develop the ability to determine load paths, and stress-resultants in statically determinate structures, and the resulting elastic deflections, stresses and strains.
For students to develop an appreciation of the philosophy and requirements of structural design.
For students to develop the ability to assess and describe the behaviour of real structures.
- Equilibrium as applied to structures to calculate reaction forces etc.
- Calculation of forces in trusses using the methods of sections and joints
- Bending moments and shear forces in beams and associated diagrams. Both qualitative and qualitative approaches.
- Material behaviour as appropriate to structural analysis. Concepts of stress, strain, Young’s modulus, Poisson’s ratio, elasticity and plasticity.
- Euler beam theory and bending stresses in elastic beams
- Shear stresses in rectangular beams
- Beam deflections using the method of double integration
- Section properties of beams including centroids and second moments of area
- Introduction to torsional behaviour of beams
- Understanding the philosophy of structural design and how to interpret the behaviour and thinking behind existing structures
Other - online quiz
Exam - via script viewing
|Scheduled activity hours|
|Practical classes & workshops||2|
|Independent study hours|
|Parthasarathi Mandal||Unit coordinator|