- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BA English Literature with Creative Writing / Course details
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
Course unit details:
English Literature Tutorials: Creative Writing
|Unit level||Level 1|
|Teaching period(s)||Semester 1|
|Available as a free choice unit?||No|
Close reading of primary source texts (provided by seminar tutors), along with progressive development of an understanding of argumentation in essays and the effective use of secondary criticism. Students will learn about the formal presentation of an essay, with particular emphasis placed on correct bibliographical citation and its relation to the accurate use of criticism.
This version of the module is for students on the English Literature with Creative Writing degree programme only.
' To help students make the transition from school to university-level study
- To provide training in the necessary skills of the discipline (e.g. use of library, methods of essay-writing, oral skills for seminar presentations)
- To make students aware of the requirements of referencing and academic honesty
- To provide guidance for learning and self-development
- To foster an environment in which students take responsibility for their own learning
- To provide an enhanced academic advisor system to support students throughout their course
- To introduce students to Creative Writing workshopping practices
- To encourage English with Creative Writing students to consider the relationship between creativeity and criticism.
At the end of the course unit successful students will have demonstrated:
- An ability to research and write a university-level essay
- A clear understanding of the rules governing plagiarism, and an ability to provide accurate referencing
- An ability to take responsibility for their own learning and to assess their progress throughout the course.
- Analytical skills
- Students taking this unit will be able to analyse and evaluate arguments and texts. Above all, committed students will emerge from this course unit with an advanced capacity to think critically, i.e. knowledgeably, rigorously, confidently and independently.
- Group/team working
- Students taking this unit will be able to work courteously and constructively as part of a larger group.
- On this unit students are encouraged to respond imaginatively and independently to the questions and ideas raised by texts and other media.
- Students on this unit must take responsibility for their learning and are encouraged not only to participate in group discussions but to do so actively and even to lead those discussions.
- Project management
- Students taking this unit will be able to work towards deadlines and to manage their time effectively.
- Oral communication
- Students taking this unit will be able to show fluency, clarity and persuasiveness in spoken communication.
- Students on this unit will be required to digest, summarise and present large amounts of information. They are encouraged to enrich their responses and arguments with a wide range of further reading.
- Written communication
- Students on this unit will develop their ability to write in a way that is lucid, precise and compelling.
Written and face-to-face (upon arrangement)
|Independent study hours|