Working while you study

Working part-time while you study can be a good way to supplement your income and gain experience.

Please note that you should first speak to your supervisor before considering part-time employment. Your degree should be your first priority and part-time work must never interfere with your studies.

In addition, research councils and other funding bodies may place restrictions on how many hours you are permitted to work, so you should check with your sponsor before taking up part-time employment.

Part-time employment for postgraduate research students

Schools and Faculties may offer the following types of part-time employment specifically for postgraduate research students:

  • Graduate teaching assistants (GTAs). We have a number of GTA opportunities available – contact your registering School for details.
  • Tutoring and demonstrating. Many Schools offer tutoring and demonstrating opportunities, usually paid on an hourly basis.

To find out further information on either type of opportunity, contact the relevant School.

International students

If you’re an international student, you must show that you have enough money to cover the cost of your programme (tuition fees and living expenses) without needing to work, before being granted a visa to study in the UK (certain nationalities are exempt). The type of visa you have and the type of course you are studying determines whether or not you can work in the UK during your stay.

The International Advice Team in the Student Services Centre can provide advice on working while studying.