Funding for students with disabilities

See what funding might be available to help you through your postgraduate research at The University of Manchester.

The Disability Support Office can advise on external sources of financial support and can help with making an application for these funds:

tel +44 (0) 161 275 7512/8518 or +44 (0) 161 275 2794 (minicom)
fax +44 (0) 161 275 7018
Disability Advisory and Support Service website

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you are from England or Wales, you may be eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) for help with costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability while attending your course.

Depending on your needs, extra support from the DSA could include:

  • Specialist equipment
  • A non-medical helpers allowance
  • Help towards the additional costs of travelling to your institution
  • A general allowance

Further information and a DSA application form are available from the GOV.UK website.

Other funding for students with disabilities

Students funded from a training grant are eligible for additional support where, because of disability, they are obliged to incur additional expenditure in undertaking their training. Application and payment arrangements will be as specified by the RCUK Disabled Students’ Allowances Framework Document and associated information. Further information is available from the RCUK website.

The Prospects website contains a section on funding for students with disabilities, including advice for non-UK EU and international students.

You may also wish to consult advice published on the Disability Rights UK website.