Linguistics and English Language
Congratulations on your offer to study Linguistics and English Language!
Linguistics is the ideal subject for analytical minds, and the Department of Linguistics and English Language at Manchester is unrivalled in its breadth of subject areas to help you expand your thinking.
Ranked sixth in the UK for Linguistics (QS World University Rankings, 2021).
Access cutting-edge resources, including our psycholinguistics and phonetics labs.
Your next steps
Careers and employability
Make your mark at Manchester
Study Linguistics and English Language with us, and you’ll develop your analytical and problem-solving skills.
The combination of a humanities and scientific approach to your studies will allow you to make connections across multiple fields of employment.
Meet the graduates
Hear from recent graduates of the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures (SALC).
Learning and support
Your learning experience
Match your interests
Tailor your degree to suit you.
Explore topics such as how languages arise, change and die, how children acquire their first language, and how adults learn a second or foreign language. Choose units from a variety of other subjects to cater to your passions.
A welcoming environment
Linguistics and English Language at Manchester has an active community that welcomes students from all over the world.
You’ll make friends through course and society activities, and get support in your studies from older students through our peer-assisted student support scheme.
You probably have concerns about the effect of the coronavirus outbreak on your application and what the next academic year will look like.
The University aims to answer your questions as best we can at this time. We have compiled a set of Frequently Asked Questions to help.
If you have any further questions, you can contact our admissions team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Courses within this subject area
Remind yourself how much your course at Manchester has to offer you.
- English Language BA
- English Language and Arabic BA
- English Language and Chinese BA
- English Language and English Literature BA
- English Language and French BA
- English Language and German BA
- English Language and Japanese BA
- English Language and Russian BA
- English Language and Spanish BA
- Film Studies and English Language BA
- Film Studies and Linguistics BA
- Latin and Linguistics BA
- Linguistics BA
- Linguistics and Arabic BA
- Linguistics and Chinese BA
- Linguistics and French BA
- Linguistics and German BA
- Linguistics and Italian BA
- Linguistics and Japanese BA
- Linguistics and Portuguese BA
- Linguistics and Russian BA
- Linguistics and Social Anthropology BA
- Linguistics and Sociology BA
- Linguistics and Spanish BA