- UCAS course code
- UCAS institution code
BSc Medical Physiology with a Modern Language / Entry requirements
Year of entry: 2023
- View tabs
- View full page
We require grades AAA-AAB, including two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics (the Core Sciences). You must have a minimum of grades AA in at least two Core Sciences. Applicants predicted/who have achieved a B in their third A-level will receive an offer of AAB. Those predicted/who have achieved an A or A* will be eligible for an offer of AAA.
If you are taking only one of the above Core Science subjects, we can consider you for an AAA offer if you are also sitting an A-level in at least one of Geography, Psychology, Environmental Studies or Physical Education in place of the second Core Science. If your predicted grades are one grade below our minimum entry requirements we may still make you an aspirational offer if you meet our contextual criteria .
Subjects with overlapping content are not normally considered as separate A-levels; Further Mathematics is not considered alongside Mathematics and Human Biology is not considered alongside Biology.
We believe that practical skills in the sciences are integral to your understanding and appreciation of these subjects. We encourage all applicants to undertake any practical skills assessment if it is available in their qualification.
In recognition of the significant disruption to studies this year, offer conditions will not state a requirement to obtain a Pass in the practical element of any science A-levels for 2022. This requirement is waived, including those sitting International A-levels.
Language entry requirements
In addition to the above, each language has specific entry requirements.
- French : an A-level in French (minimum grade B if taking two Core Sciences, or A if taking one and a soft science) or equivalent is required.
- German : an A-level in German (minimum grade B if taking two Core Sciences, or A if taking one and a soft science) or equivalent is required.
- Spanish : an A-level in Spanish (minimum grade B if taking two Core Sciences, or A if taking one and a soft science) or equivalent is required.
- Italian: an A-level in Italian (minimum grade B if taking two Core Sciences, or A if taking one and a soft science) or equivalent is required.
- Japanese : no prior knowledge of Japanese is assumed, but evidence of linguistic proficiency is required, eg GCSE grade 7 or A in a foreign language. Chemistry AS-level (minimum grade B) is essential. If you do not have AS-level Chemistry, we would require a full A-level in Chemistry (normally grade A).
- Mandarin : no prior knowledge of Mandarin is assumed, but evidence of linguistic proficiency is required, eg GCSE grade 7 or A in a foreign language. Chemistry AS-level (grade B) is essential. If you do not have AS-level Chemistry, we would require a full A-level in Chemistry (normally grade A).
Contextual offer: AAB-ABC (including specific subjects).
Typical WP++ Contextual offer: ABB-ABD (including specific subjects).
Unit grade information
Applicants must demonstrate a broad general education including acceptable levels of Literacy and Numeracy, equivalent to at least Grade 4 or C in GCSE/IGCSE English Language and Mathematics. GCSE/IGCSE English Literature will not be accepted in lieu of GCSE/IGCSE English Language.
Please note that if you hold English as a Second Language IGCSE qualification, we may also require you to offer one of our acceptable equivalent English Language qualifications or achieve a higher grade in your IGCSE than the one stated above. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for clarification.
35-36 points overall with 6, 6, 6 to 6, 6, 5 at Higher Level including two sciences, normally Biology and Chemistry.
For degrees with French, German, Spanish or Italian, 5 or 6 points in the language must be achieved at Higher Level.
For degrees with Mandarin or Japanese, 5 points is required in a foreign language at Standard Level. A minimum of 5 points in Chemistry at Standard Level (or Higher Level) is essential.
Alternative entry requirements
Alternative entry requirements exist for this course. You may view these by selecting from the list below.
All applicants to the University (from the UK and Overseas) are required to show evidence of English Language proficiency. The minimum English Language requirement for this course is either:
- GCSE/IGCSE English Language grade 4 or C;
- IELTS 6.5 (with no less than 6.5 in any component);
- an acceptable equivalent qualification.
Please note that if you hold English as a Second Language IGCSE qualification, we may also require you to offer one of our acceptable equivalent English Language qualifications or achieve a higher grade in your IGCSE than the one stated above. Please contact the academic School for clarification.
The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires that every student from outside the UK and the EU must show evidence of a minimum level of English Language in order to be granted a UK visa (Student Route Visa) to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level. This level is often referred to as the B2 level.
Additionally, our individual Schools may ask for specific English Language proficiency levels that are necessary for their academic programmes. In most cases these requirements are likely to be higher than the B2 level. Further information about our English Language policy, including a list of some of the English Language qualifications we accept, can be found here.