Australia / Entry requirements

General requirements for undergraduate courses

Applicants who have successfully completed year 12 secondary school education with a good Final School Leaving Certificate will be considered for entry into the first year of our bachelors degree courses, as will applicants who have successfully completed the first year of a university degree from a recognised Australian University.

The University of Manchester recognises and accepts applicants' qualifications from New South Wales, Australia Capital Territory (University Admissions Index), Victoria (Equivalent National Tertiary Entrance Rank), Western Australia, South Australia, the Northern Territory and Tasmania (Tertiary Entrance Rank), as well as Queensland (Overall Positions).

Applicants who have completed a Diploma and Advanced Diploma courses with a good grade average from a recognised Australian institution will also be considered for entry.

Applicants who have completed Year 11 secondary education are recommended to attend a suitable foundation course from a recognised institution before pursuing an undergraduate course at The University of Manchester.

General requirements for postgraduate/research courses

Applicants holding a good bachelors (Honours) degree will be considered for masters degree entry. Certain Schools may also consider or a high pass in a  three-year ordinary degree from a recognised Australian university. However, as this is not the case for all Schools, we suggest that you confirm entry requirements directly with the relevant admissions team before making an application.

Applicants holding a masters degree from a recognised Australian university will be considered for PhD or Doctorial research programme.

English language requirements

All applicants to the University (from the UK and overseas) are required to show evidence of English language proficiency.

The UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires that every student from outside the UK and the EU must show evidence of a minimum level of English language in order to be granted a UK visa (Tier 4 visa) to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level. This level is often referred to as the ‘B2 level’.

Additionally, our individual Schools may ask for specific English language proficiency levels that are necessary for their academic programmes. In most cases these requirements are likely to be higher than the B2 level. Further information about our English language policy, including a list of some of the English language qualifications we accept, can be found here.

Please note that, under certain circumstances, a university degree from Australia may be sufficient evidence of English language proficiency. Please enquire from the academic School to which you would like to apply.

Additionally, under certain circumstances, the University may consider completion of the Australian High School Certificate or Certificate of Education with high grades as evidence of English language proficiency.

Some Schools ask that the appropriate score has been met before you apply for a course, while other departments give conditional offers subject to applicants achieving our general entry requirement level of English Language proficiency before starting the course.

Other entry requirements

Please note that this is generic information only. Faculties and Schools have different entry requirements and some qualifications may not be acceptable for certain courses, so it is important to check with the School directly before you apply.

Some courses have additional entry requirements such as previous work experience, submission of written work with the application or previous study of a particular subject.