The University of Manchester dates back to 1824 and is one of the top higher education institutions in Europe. We are a member of the prestigious Russell Group; equivalent to the Ivy League.
We are one of the UK’s largest campus-based universities, with over 26,000 undergraduate and 14,000 postgraduate students. We are also the most globally diverse university in the UK, with over 10,000 international students enrolling from over 160 countries worldwide.
Each year we welcome a growing number of students from across the US, here are some of the reasons why:
- Ranking – Manchester ranks 35th in the world, 9th in Europe and 5th in the UK in the Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2021.
- Research – We are recognised as a global powerhouse of research, with 93% of the University’s research activity assessed as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ in the Research Excellence Framework (REF), 2021. We are also fifth in the UK in terms of research power across 32 subject areas.
- Staff – 13:1 student-to-Faculty ratio
- Campus – an urban campus located within walking distance of downtown Manchester, one of the largest and most exciting cities in the UK – was recently reviewed by the New York Times.
- City – Manchester was the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution, modern economics, and vegetarianism, communism and feminism
- Alumni – we have more than 8,500 alumni based in the USA alone. There are Manchester alumni based in all 50 states.
- Cost – tuition and living costs are competitively priced compared to US equivalent universities. We are FAFSA registered and can accept Federal Loans.
The short videos below showcase the University, city and student experience.
International rankings compare universities from across the globe for their research performance and academic reputation. We’re proud to be among the world’s top 50 universities and one of the world's leading universities for impact towards the UN Sustainable Development Goals (Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings, 2022).
|Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings||9||2||2|
|Academic Ranking of World Universities (2021)||35||9||5|
|Reuters Top 100: Europe's most innovative universities (2019)||-||8||4|
|Times Higher Education (2022)||50||16||8|
|Times Higher Education ‘most international university’ rankings (2021)||23||-||-|
The North American Student Welcome event takes place each year.
Watch the film
Inspire and be inspired
A poem from the University Chancellor Lemn Sissay.
Watch the film
Spend two minutes flying over our amazing campus and enjoying some unique views of the University.
Watch the film
Read our US Student Handbook below to learn more about the University and the application process:
The British Council USA also provide a wealth of information to prospective students from the USA.
The University of Manchester regularly travel across the US to meet prospective students – meet us at an event near you.