Hungary / Entry requirements

General entry requirements for undergraduate courses

GCE A-Levels, International Baccalaureate (IB) and national university entrance exams at good grades are considered for entrance to undergraduate programmes at The University of Manchester. See individual programmes for specific information:

Undergraduate courses

For Schools with specific entry requirements, defined grades will be required in named subjects. For example, entry to engineering courses usually requires A-levels in Mathematics and Physics.

If you are studying the Matura /Érettségi Bizonyítvány (Secondary Education Graduation Certificate) you will generally need to be taking 5 subjects, including 2 at Higher/ Advanced Level, and achieve an overall average of 4.0 – 5.0 (including at least one subject at 5 and all others at 4 at least) for courses requiring BBB – A*A*A*. Additionally, for courses that require a particular subject at grade A or A*, we would expect 85% in that exam at Higher/ Advanced Level.

If you need to find out more about Hungarian entry criteria for a specific subject and can't find this online, please email

General requirements for postgraduate/research courses

Students who have completed an undergraduate degree at a reputable university are normally considered for postgraduate study. We would normally expect applicants to have an Alapfokozat or Egyetemi Oklevél with at least a 3.5/5 from a reputable university. 

Taught master's courses

General requirements for PhD programmes

Applicants with Masters degrees from strong institutions may be considered for PhD entry.

Postgraduate research degrees are individually supervised. We strongly recommend that prospective applicants make initial enquiries with the potential supervisor or school before submitting a formal application.

A research proposal is required along with your formal application.

Postgraduate research programmes

English language requirements

All applicants to the University (from the UK and overseas) are required to show evidence of English language proficiency.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires that every student from outside the UK must show evidence of a minimum level of English language in order to be granted a UK visa (Tier 4 visa) to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level.

Additionally, our individual Schools may ask for specific English language proficiency levels that are necessary for their academic programmes. In most cases these requirements are likely to be higher than the B2 level. Our English language policy outlines some of the English language qualification we accept.

Some Schools ask that the appropriate score has been met before you apply for a course, while others give conditional offers subject to applicants achieving our general entry requirement level of English language proficiency before starting the course.

Under certain circumstances, the University may consider IGCSE/O-level English, or International Baccalaureate Language (English) or Language and Literature (English) at high grades as a recognised English language qualification.

Other entry requirements

Please note that this is generic information only. Faculties and Schools have different entry requirements and some qualifications may not be acceptable for certain courses, so it is important to check with the School directly before you apply.

Some courses have additional entry requirements such as previous work experience, submission of written work with the application or previous study of a particular subject. Take a look at the individual course profiles for course specific entry requirements:

Undergraduate courses

Taught master's courses

Postgraduate research programmes