PhD Translation and Intercultural Studies / Overview
Year of entry: 2021
- View tabs
- View full page
- Degree awarded
- Doctor of Philosophy
- 3 years [full-time]
- Entry requirements
- A Bachelors (Honours) degree at 2:1 level or above (or its international equivalent) in a related subject; and
- A UK Master's degree with an overall average of 65% or higher, with a minimum of 65% in the dissertation and with no mark below 55% (or its international equivalent) in a related subject.
- Number of places/applicants
- There is no limit on the number of places available.
- How to apply
- Apply online
|Full-time||Part-time||Full-time distance learning||Part-time distance learning|
Our PhD Translation and Intercultural Studies programme will enable you to carry out a significant piece of original research under the supervision of our academics.
The Centre for Translation and Intercultural Studies (CTIS) at Manchester has the largest concentration of translation studies specialists in the country. It attracts visiting scholars and postgraduate students from a wide range of countries and backgrounds.
By collaborating with experts in fields such as literary studies, linguistics, intellectual, social and cultural history and theory, CTIS provides unique opportunities for doctoral researchers in translation studies, both in core areas of the discipline and at its interdisciplinary cutting edge.
CTIS provides an excellent environment for research and organises regular scholarly events for the benefit of postgraduate students. These include a series of weekly seminars which attract a large national audience of researchers, students and practitioners. The seminars, delivered by invited speakers, form an important part of students' initiation into scholarly research, while also offering valuable opportunities for informal contact with leading academics.
The Centre also provides specialist research training for doctoral students in the form of masterclasses.
International conferences and symposia which CTIS has organised in Manchester and in which PhD students have participated include:
- Research Models in Translation Studies II (2011);
- Citizen Media: New Mediations of Civic Engagement (2013);
- New Perspectives on Translation: Insights into the Performative and Cognitive Work of Translators (2014);
- Researching Translation in the Context of Popular Culture: Theoretical and Methodological Perspectives (2015);
- Genealogies of Knowledge: Translating Political and Scientific Thought across Time and Space (2017);
- International Postgraduate Conference in Translation and Interpreting (IPCITI) (2018).
The Centre houses the world's first and largest computerised corpus of translated text. The Translational English Corpus and the necessary software for processing it are freely available to the research community on the CTIS website.
CTIS is also home to Genealogies of Knowledge: The Evolution and Contestation of Concepts across Time and Space , a large AHRC-funded project exploring how translation has impacted the transformation of key concepts in political and scientific thought as these concepts have travelled across centuries, languages and cultures.
Find out what it's like to study at Manchester by visiting us on one of our open days .
For entry in the academic year beginning September 2021, the tuition fees are as follows:
UK students (per annum): £4,500
International, including EU, students (per annum): £19,500
Further information for EU students can be found on our dedicated EU page.
Please note for the majority of projects where experimentation requires further resource: higher fee bands (where quoted) will be charged rather than the base rate for supervision, administration and computational costs. The fees quoted above will be fully inclusive and, therefore, you will not be required to pay any additional bench fees or administration costs.
All fees for entry will be subject to yearly review and incremental rises per annum are also likely over the duration of the course for UK/EU students (fees are typically fixed for International students, for the course duration at the year of entry). For general fees information please visit: postgraduate fees . Always contact the department if you are unsure which fee applies to your project.
We offer a limited number of bursaries and studentships on a competitive basis, details of which can be found via the links below.
Please note that while we do not have closing dates for programme applications, all funding competitions have a specified deadline for submitting the funding application form and a separate (earlier) deadline for submitting the online programme application form, both of which will be stated in the funding competition details below.
You may also be eligible for a postgraduate loan from the government. Find out more about this and other sources of funding on the funding opportunities page.
- AHRC North West Consortium Doctoral Training Partnership (NWCDTP) in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures 2021-22
- President's Doctoral Scholar (PDS) Awards in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures 2021-22
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures PhD Studentships 2021-22
- China Scholarship Council - The University of Manchester Joint Scholarship for PhD Study in the School of Arts, Languages and Cultures 2021-22
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships 2021-22
- School of Arts, Languages and Cultures
- Contact name
- Rachel Corbishley
See: About us
Programmes in related subject areas
Use the links below to view lists of programmes in related subject areas.
Regulated by the Office for Students
The University of Manchester is regulated by the Office for Students (OfS). The OfS aims to help students succeed in Higher Education by ensuring they receive excellent information and guidance, get high quality education that prepares them for the future and by protecting their interests. More information can be found at the OfS website.
You can find regulations and policies relating to student life at The University of Manchester, including our Degree Regulations and Complaints Procedure, on our regulations website.