India / Careers
Manchester graduates have an excellent reputation among employers. We are the most targeted university by major UK graduate employers (The Graduate Market 2022, High Fliers Research) and we are 5th in the UK and 41st in the world in the QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020. The Times and Sunday Times recently recognised the University as ‘the university of the year for graduate employment’. Many of our academic Schools offer career-related course units and a number of lectures are delivered by employers who will explain exactly what they are looking for in recruits.
In addition, we maintain links with more than 7,000 UK and global employers. This enables us to ensure teaching and course content are relevant to the needs of industry and commerce so our graduates leave not just with academic knowledge but also with the transferable skills needed to be successful on their chosen career path.
At Manchester we are mindful of the concerns of prospective Indian students regarding opportunities to improve career prospects by gaining work experience post-graduation in the UK. Our Careers Service has key information on work visas during and after study including the new Graduate Immigration Route which will offer Manchester graduates the possibility of staying in the UK for two further years to work, or to look for work, at any skill level. Many of our undergraduate programmes feature the opportunity for industrial/professional experience and the Masood Enterprise Centre offers fantastic support to budding entrepreneurs.
Career resources for Indian students
Manchester has an outstanding careers service, offering a broad range of innovative support to students from the first day of their study here, including:
- help to find part-time jobs and internships;
- access to fairs, workshops and presentations attracting more than 600 exhibitors and 20,000 visitors a year;
- essential advice from trained careers consultants and industry professionals and support tailored to the specific needs of our international students including our International Students Careers Week and country-specific events;
- our International Mentoring programme allows students to connect with alumni across the globe for career advice, feedback and networking; we have 40 mentors from India on the programme;
- the India Manchester Graduate Network is an online professional network of over 500 Indian alumni and students across the globe. It allows Indian students to connect, explore opportunities and market themselves effectively.
Find out more on our Careers Service website.
Hear from graduate Riddi Viswanathan about how she took advantage of the Enterprise Centre at the University and established her own digital company, Generation Purple.