China (mainland) / Careers
The University of Manchester is ranked 33rd in the world in the QS Global Employability Ranking 2017 and our Chinese graduates are highly sought after. Many of our alumni are now working in large, multinational organisations, both within the UK and China.
The top 10 organisations that hire our Chinese graduates are:
- Bank of China
- Ernst & Young
- Standard Chartered Bank
The University hosts a careers fair, especially for our Chinese students looking for work in China after they graduate.
UK graduate job market
The UK graduate job market is very competitive, however, a number of our Chinese graduates do stay on to work in the UK after graduation, for organisations such as PwC, Barclays, KPMG, and Citi bank. If you are interested in working in the UK following graduation, to maximise your chances of gaining a successful graduate role, you should:
- Explore opportunities to build skills to improve your chances of getting the job you want after graduation.
- Research the organisations you wish to work for well in advance.
- Try and gain some experience within the organisations, such as an internship, work experience or a placement, either in the UK or in your home country.
- Become familiar with the visa restrictions of working after graduation in the UK and visit our web pages on Tier 2 visas.
- You should aim to begin applying for graduate jobs at the start of your final year or masters to maximise your chances of success
For further detail on the kinds of jobs our students from China pursue after graduating please see our alumni profiles.
Our award-winning Careers Service provides information and advice for all international students on:
- Finding a graduate job
- Getting a part-time job or relevant work experience
- Preparing effective job applications
For international students, our careers service also provides online careers information and a programme of networking events and workshops. At Manchester, we pride ourselves on offering you many exciting opportunities to enhance your CV.
The University of Manchester has a Volunteering and Community Engagement Team who can provide you with advice on volunteering projects in Manchester. Volunteering is a great way for you to give back to the community, develop your skills and also integrate with other nationalities.